Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Scriptural Reflections: Psalm 131

Psalms of Queen Jadwiga in three languages (La...Image via Wikipedia

L.D. Turner

I have always had a marked tendency to over-complicate things – to over-think situations, ideas, and other things that most folks might not give a second thought. I, on the other hand, might give them a third thought, a fourth, and on and on ad infinitum.

I supposed like most things in life, this has been a both a blessing and a curse. On the positive side, by refusing to take certain things at face value, I have been able to see past the surface level of those things and gain a deeper, more transformational insight. I have also been able to avoid getting involved in some things that were best left alone.
On the darker side of this complicating tendency, I have ruminated and worried over issues that, in the overall scheme of things, were profoundly insignificant. This has led to a great deal of wasted time and unnecessary anxiety. On more than one occasion, it has led to disagreements that could have easily been avoided.

I am much better with all this nowadays and I can say without reservation that the practice that has helped most with this defect of character has been spending time in the Sacred Silence. By slowing down and practicing sitting quietly in the presence I have somehow learned to let go of unnecessary complications and ruminations. In addition, I have gained more peace and serenity.

Don’t get me wrong, I still have my bad days. I don’t always go around manifesting the countenance of Mahatma Gandhi or the quiet compassion of Mother Theresa. On some days I more resemble a trance channel for Yosemite Sam. Still, this practice of engaging the Sacred Silence has had a marked healing quality in my life.

If you are a person with a similar tendency to over-complicate simple things, I suggest that you prayerfully reflect on the words of Psalm 131:


O Lord, I am not proud;

I have no haughty looks.

I do not occupy myself with great matters, or with things that are too
hard for me.

But I still my soul and make it quiet, like a weaned child upon its mother’s breast;

My soul is quieted within me.


The psalmist has captured the essence of the power and the benefits of engaging Sacred Silence. A child that is weaned is a child that is no longer hungry but instead, is satisfied and content. Author Cynthia Bourgeault describes such a child and how this image reflects the final stages of the process of Lectio Divina:

A weaned child on its mother’s lap is no longer hungry; filled to satisfaction, it merely rests and allows digestion to take place. In exactly the same way, at this stage of lectio you suspend all mental and emotional activity and simply “rest” in the fullness of the feast. The digestive work goes on beneath the level of your conscious mind.


Being able to quietly and with trust, rest in the Sacred Silence is a skill that comes over time with disciplined practice. At least that is how it has played out in my life. With my marked tendency to over-think even the simplest issue, it is easy to understand how difficult it was for me to maintain the patience and presence of mind to be still before the Lord. With the help of the Holy Spirit, however, I was able to make progress and behold, over the years I have become much better at this most necessary of spiritual disciplines.

© L.D. Turner 2010/ All Rights Reserved
Enhanced by Zemanta

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi L.D.,
This is a great revelation. If one were to read Ps. 130, the intrinsic sincerity of this mnessage is true. In the mist of a fast-going and complicated world, believers are sometime lust in thougts, flirting with what the world calls logic, science, etc. The knowledge of God is sufficient.
May I quote Anselm
"Up now, slight man! Flee for a little while thy occupations; hide thyself for a time from thy disturbing thoughts. Cast aside now thy burdensome cares, and put away thy toilsome business. yield room for some little time to God, and rest for a little time in Him. Enter the inner chamber of thy mind; shut out all thoughts save that of Gos and such as can aid thee in seeking Him. Speak now, my whole heart! Speak now to God, saying, I see Thy face; Thy face, Lord, will I seek."

God bless you.